Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Being broken up with and not even knowing it

So, I admit I don't pay a huge amount of attention to what is going on in the music world but I do enjoy music and I have, as do most folks, my favorite bands. Some bands I like so much that I will go buy an album without even hearing a single song just because I know I'm going to like it. And yes, I still buy cds sometimes but even on (yikes, I'm about to say it) itunes, I get the whole damned thing. No questions asked. I go to concerts, I buy t-shirts and bumper stickers, I tell friends about the band and how amazing they are, I do my part to ensure that the legacy lives on. I guess that is why I feel like I've been dumped when a band breaks up. Especially when I don't even hear about it until way after the fact. Shouldn't I have been consulted? Here I have been waiting patiently for a new album to come out and I have to hear from satellite radio that the lead singer is doing a solo project. Then I have to rush to ask google for the latest news. Yes, clearly I am feeling very emotional about one band in particular but this has happened before (see Wham, Duran Duran, Olivia Newton John and John Travolta...). I mean honestly folks (by folks, I mean the members of Live) I have helped build you into the mainstream stars you are today. It is through my dollars and hard work that you are seated at the good table in the 'it' restaurant and given free bottle service at the club where you are getting to see nitwits 'accidentally' show off their bare tooters while emerging from the limo. I don't think it is too much to ask to at least have a farewell tour, a final album (and no, your greatest hits don't count), an online vote. Some say in the future of my relationship with you. Unless one of the other band members has beaten your new puppy to death, I'm thinking it can't be all that hard to make tons of money doing something you enjoy and do well. So suck it up, put on your $1000.00 jeans (which I'm sure you got for free), get in the limo your label sent over, make a new album, and climb aboard your private jet to do a damned tour!

2 comments:

  1. oooh, this is a good blow off post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of thought that cousin. I should have dedicated this one to you and the blow off!

    ReplyDelete